Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Hash House History in Lampung

By on 5:41 AM



The history of Hash Clubs in Bandar Lampung

bali hash
Expatriates in Lampung introduced a hash in 1988. The first hash club was named Bandar Lampung Hash House Harriers(BLHHH). Many of the members were Canadians who worked for PT Bukit Asam located in Panjang. The number of followers increased as it became more famous among top level managers of big private companies.

The hash activity  was on Saturday afternoon from 4 pm to around 5 pm. Every Wednesday  the hash master issued brosures (they called it hashsheets) and distributed them via hotel guest counters so visitors were informed of the hash activity. Based on the information on the hashsheet, hashers (hash members) would meet at the point mentioned in the hashsheet. The meeting points were usually areas away from residential areas. The activity was actually simply walked or jogged around rubber plantations or across rice fields or forests. They just followed paper-marked trails and made a loop back to the meeting point. When all were back, the hash master announced about the run (activity) and they finished with down-down (drinking) or they called it social drinking.

From 1990 to 1995 was glorious  periods  for this club since more and more expatriates came to Lampung to work for foreign-financed projects.

Bandar Lampung Hash House Harriers finally came to an end as many expatriates had to leave Indonesia. The only left members were Indonesians who tried to continue the activity till it completely disappeared. Two years later came into existence another hash club called Polaris introducing biking and running as the main activity. People who enjoyed biking around the forests were encouraged to join it. How they started their hash was mostly the same as the first one. The only difference was at Polaris, members could use their bikes along the prepared trails (trails were marked with shredded paper to make followers stay on the right tracks). Polaris (biking and running enthusiasts) got more and more members but finally its biking members reduced. Polaris still carried on without biking participants until early 2003. In the middle of 2003 Polaris split up into two groups. The first group still retained its club name (Polaris) and the second group created a new name for their club. They called it Lampung Hash House Harriers, which was trusted to host a Pan Sumatera Hash in 2007 followed by hashers around Indonesia and from neighboring countries. It was a successful event.

How did hashing first come into existence?

Many hashers around the globe had discussed what hashing was all about and how it became very popular around the world. Basically hashing clubs accept all members regardless of age, religion, race and work. Hash was created from the game of  Hare and Hounds done by students in the United Kingdom. They players were call hounds and those who ran after hounds were called hares. They followed trails marked with shredded paper across fields, forests, rivers and even went deep into the jungles.  This activity was first reported as “Crick Run” in Rubby school, Warwickshire, England in 1837.

Hound and Hares as sports for adults was initiated in 1867 by a canoe-paddling  club from London who wanted to stay fit during the winter season. Their activity was called  Paper Chasing or Paper Chase. It was soon popularized by  Hare and Hounds Team in 1868. This was the first club who labeled themselves as  Hares and Hounds or Harriers.

However, some people said that Hash House Harriers were originally  ridicule  for monotonous menu served in Selangor Club Chambers, which was a house used  as a mess for the british people who lived in Selangor, Malaysia. The ridicule was made by business people and british waiters lived and ate in the first floor of the house. Hash means to chop or slang term to mean food. Harriers mean eagles but among hashers harriers can also mean rabbit hunters or tracking dogs. The free translation by Indonesian hashers—first used by Malioboro HHH in Yogyakarta was “Lacak Jejak Lintas Alam”.

The house was used as a gathering point center for social activities, dining place for workers who lived around it during the era between the first and second world war.

After Malaysia was declared independent in 1965,  Selangor Club Chambers was once functioned as a  water supplying agency, and a payment point for the water consumed by the residents. And in 1974 the house was torn down to be used a  project site for Kuching road development.

See
HASH REPORT NO.467
HASH REPORT NO. 466